Hi foodie friends! Hopefully 2019 is still going strong for you!
I rung in the new year in fine fashion, not too crazy, not boring – just perfect. Until last week.
Last week I felt a little tingling in my throat that turned into a full on cold.
I really didn’t want to take OTC meds, but ended up supplementing my constant cups of tea (with honey & lemon) with some anyway.
In the process, I knew I needed some chicken soup. I don’t know about you, but I get tired of the same old chicken noodle or chicken & rice or chicken & veggie soup. Even if it is homemade, sometimes you just want a different kind of flavor.
I was craving flavor. So I decided to throw some things together to make what I’m calling a Mediterranean Chicken “Stoup”. It’s similar to my Greek Style Bean Soup but heartier.
Do you remember the show Rachael Ray used to have called “30 minute meals”? I loved that show. Anyway, she coined the term “stoup” as thicker than soup & thinner than stew. I’ve been using that description ever since because that’s the consistency I like in most my soups, including this one.
Mediterranean Chicken “Stoup”
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½ ” x 1″ strips (no you don’t have to measure)
- ½ cup garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tsp each of fresh oregano, basil, & parsley, chopped (½ tsp if using dried)
- handful of kalamata olives (about ¼ cup), chopped
- 2 Tbsp of capers
- 15-20 grape tomatoes, keep whole
- 2 Tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 cup of rice (white or Basmati)
- 1 cup chicken broth (substitute veggie broth or water)
- extra hot water – keep on hand in a pot or teakettle
- 2 tsp of turmeric (use more if you like the flavor)
- salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste
- pepperoncini (optional)
- Sort, rinse, & cook the garbanzo beans according to package directions EXCEPT not quite as long. Set aside.
- You want the beans to not be mushy because you’ll add them to the stoup to finish off later.
- Cook the rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- Coat the bottom of a large stock pot with EVOO
- Add onions & garlic. Sauté for about 1 minute.
- While that’s working, season the chicken with salt & pepper.
- Add the chicken broth & chicken slices to the pot with the onions & garlic. Heat to boiling, then lower heat to low & simmer for 15 minutes.
- Keep the chicken covered with liquid by adding hot water as needed
- Add the cooked garbanzo beans & grape tomatoes. Simmer another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add fresh herbs, turmeric, salt, & pepper to taste
Serve over rice & top with pepperoncini (optional).
- I like to serve my stoup over rice because that way the rice stays pretty firm. You could cook the rice directly in the soup, but be prepared for it to be less firm.
- The pepperoncini adds a little tangy heat. Since I was making this to help with my cold, I also added sliced jalapeño with the onions & garlic. If you like things spicy, you could also add a little cayenne pepper.
- Use fresh whole grape or cherry tomatoes. They will pop as they cook. If you don’t have any, you really can use any kind of tomato (even canned, in a pinch).
This soup got me through my cold deliciously! Even my guys loved it & they didn’t have colds. If you give it a try, let me know how you like it. And do me a favor… If you like it pin it to share with your friends & family.