Not that we are either gluten free OR Vegan in the Green House. Yes we eat pretty well, but we are definitely not that good. Sometimes we just need to press reset on our diets/eating habits & this gluten free vegan lo mein is a perfectly tasty way to do it!
I just love spaghetti squash (chameleon that it is) & vegetables in general, as long as they are NOT sweet. That is the only way that I am picky – if you can call it that. No sweet vegetables please. Thank you.
Anyway, I didn’t know if I should call this lo mein or chow mein because…
Lo mein is soft tossed noodles (my personal choice) & chow mein is crispy fried noodles. These are tossed in at the end but because they are vegetable noodles, they are still crispy. So… whatever.
Who cares what we call them as long as they are GOOD!
And they are. These noodles are hubby & kid approved yummy.
I made them for lunch but apparently the fam wants more… (side eye).
Anyway, try this recipe out for a quick lunch or dinner & let me know what you think.
Gluten Free Vegan Lo Mein
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, sliced or chopped
1/4″ piece of ginger, chopped (I didn’t measure, I just took a small piece because this is where the spice comes in)
pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 cup packed red cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded
1/2 cup packed green cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded
1 carrot, shaved & shredded (with 1 of those veggie peeler things)
1 tsp corn starch
1-2 Tbsp liquid aminos (Gluten free soy sauce alternative; you could also try coconut aminos)
1/2 large spaghetti squash, roasted with olive oil & salt, pulled into noodles with a fork
Cooking Spaghetti Squash
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise & scrape out the seeds with a spoon.
- Sprinkle the inside of each half with a little olive oil & salt (optional).
- Lay each half on a baking sheet, cut side up. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and scrape the flesh with a fork. And voilà… veggie noodles!
Making The Veggie Sauce
- Put the corn starch in a small bowl. Add the liquid aminos & stir to dissolve. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a small wok or saucepot. Add onions & ginger, saute for about 2 minutes MAX.
- Add the garlic to the onions & ginger, saute for another minute.
- To the same pot, add the shredded carrot, red & green cabbage
- Add a pinch of red pepper flakes if you like it hot & spicy. Otherwise SKIP THIS STEP
- Let it cook down for about 5 minutes. You can stir/toss it but just let it cook.
- Stir the corn starch + liquid amino mixture & add it to the veggie pot
- Stir to combine. Let it cook for a minute so the flavors can all meld.
- Taste it & adjust the flavor if you need to. Add liquid aminos or pepper if you need to.
- Add spaghetti squash noodles, toss, & heat through.
SERVE THAT ISH! No garnish needed. It is SO good no one will know (or care) that it’s ALL VEG! Try it, put your own spin on it, & let me know how you like it.