Homemade Non-Chlorine Bleach
The Green Life

How to Make Non-Chlorine Bleach

A few weeks ago, I felt so great about discovering non-chlorine bleach at Target (one of my favorite places ever).  I was so happy and surprised that I just scooped it up without hesitation and kept it moving.  Then on top of that, I check my Cartwheel and find that there is a coupon for it! JOY!!!

Fast forward about a week or so…. laundry day and what was pure joy has changed into disappointment.  Then a little disbelief, then some anger. I will just be honest… I was not happy angry with myself for buying this.  Even with a coupon it was still $3+.
Read the ingredients.  LOOK what’s in this!

Non-Chlorine Bleach Ingredients

I’m mad because I normally would just use peroxide and lemon juice as “bleach” anyway.  The container says it is “95% naturally derived”.  I’m pretty sure the other 5% is from that “plant-based cleaning agent” i.e. sodium lauryl sulfate  – a chemical detergent and surfactant.  I’m not real sure why I need that in my “non-chlorine naturally derived” bleach since I’m already using a detergent and the bleach itself is an additive to boost whiteness and brightness.

Homemade Non-Chlorine Bleach
Anyway…. Once I got over my anger with myself for NOT checking the label before purchasing, I got back into my “normal” mindset and something good did come out of this purchase… the bottle is recyclable. And I did just that… I recycled it as the container for my regular old homemade non-chlorine bleach:

  • water (2 parts),
  • peroxide (1 part), and
  • lemon juice (1/4 part).

Now I’m happy again because I will no longer be bamboozled by pretty “green” packaging and because my non-chlorine bleach costs a grand total of $0.88 for just shy of 1 gallon (versus $3+ for half that amount, 60 oz to be exact).

 

Side note: I don’t count the cost of lemon juice for this because we keep that on hand for other things like cooking, astringent, and adult beverages.  Technically I shouldn’t include the cost of peroxide either since that’s a basic household staple too.  And so is water… we have to pay a bill for it, but we have to have it to live anyway. So would it actually be accurate to say that THIS non-chlorine bleach is non-toxic AND FREE? Could it be???

 

Another side note: To be very clear, this has nothing to do with Target.  LOVE Target, always have, always will.  It is only about living The Green Life without having to spend a mint to do it.  I will likely still purchase the dishwasher detergent from time to time, simply because that’s not as simple to master and I need a little boost every now and then.  But I’m sorry to report that this particular product for me was a fail – not because it did not work, but because it could have worked for a whole lot less $$.

 

Conclusion: if you want to use less chemicals and still have the cleaning power of bleach, make your own using things you probably already have.  Otherwise stick to your regular old $2 bottle of chlorine bleach.

Hopefully I just saved you at least $4 that you can use for something else.

 

Want more from the 4th House?
Get the Newsletter 

Sign up for tips & updates on all things home and let me know what you'd like to see more of.

Invalid email address

2 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More in The Green Life
Living The Green Life
Perfectly Natural Skin Care That Works
Finally! My Magic Formula for Homemade Dishwasher Tabs!
Close