It’s soup season!! Actually anytime is a great time for soup IMO & I have a great 1 for you to try! This Mediterranean Chicken Soup is packed with protein & loads of veg. Plus it has a Southern twist you’ll love!
I made my Mediterranean Chicken Soup the traditional way, slow cooking it in a large pot on the stove top. But I think it can easily be adapted to a slow cooker/crock pot or instant pot/pressure cooker.
Check the notes for extra tips & quick swaps to make it a quick cooking soup or even a hearty vegetarian soup.
- 2 chicken leg quarters or 4 thighs, with bones & skin
- 1 cup of black eyed peas (non-southern version uses white, canellini, or garbanzo beans) soaked but not cooked
- 1 bunch of baby mustard greens or 1/2 head of a small cabbage, cut into 1" chunks
- 1 small yellow onion, course chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, course chopped
- 2 celery stalks, clicked
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- a few slices of Serrano or jalapeño pepper (optional)
- Water or broth (chicken or vegetable)
- Oil (canola or EVOO)
- Smokey seasoning
- 1 T rosemary
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Coat the bottom of a large pot with oil & heat over medium heat.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, & smokey seasoning.
- Brown the chicken on all sides.
- Add 1 cup of water or broth to the pot and scrape up any brown bits. Add more liquid to completely cover the chicken.
- Simmer until the skin falls away from the chicken, about 30 minutes. Remove the skin. (Add more liquid as needed to keep the chicken covered.)
- Add the beans & simmer until cooked through and the chicken is falling off the bones, about 45 minutes - 1 hour. Remove the bones. (Add more liquid as needed.)
- Taste the broth & adjust seasoning adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Add all the vegetables + the rosemary & simmer until they are crisp tender, about 15-20 minutes.
Serve hot with crusty bread if you like.
1. Using dark meat with bones & the skin on, you won't need broth. Browning the chicken will create super tasty broth on it's own.
- Save the chicken skins & bones to make & store extra broth
- Fry the chicken skins for a crunchy tasty snack
- Save the vegetable scraps to make & store extra veggie broth
2. If you don't like dark meat chicken or prefer a quicker cooking soup, use chicken breasts, cutlets, or tenderloins. Season & brown them, then remove & cut into 1" pieces. Follow the rest of the recipe adding the chicken in with the vegetables.
3. Leave the chicken out altogether & sub veggie broth for a vegan or vegetarian option.
4. To decrease the cooking time even more, use canned beans.
5. Don't have cabbage? Use Brussels Sprouts. Or kale, mustard greens, or Swiss chard. Or any combination of greens.
6. If you don't like things spicy, leave out the hot peppers.
7. Increase the flavor profile with capers and/or olives.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 464Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 221mgSodium: 435mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 46g
I am not a nutritionist or dietician. Please consult one or your doctor if you are on a special diet. These numbers are auto-generated based on the ingredients in my recipe.