Last week I was supposed to work on the the all important DIY no-sew upholstery project for the my cousin’s loveseat. Naturally, it just wouldn’t have been right if there were no issues AT ALL with that process. All I was able to do is remove the old upholstery at that time.

Thank goodness for the extra weeks AND that we have until July 5 for “The Big Reveal”! I’m taking full advantage of the time so that when I present this gift to my cousin, it is everything she could have imagined & more!

Let me just give you a run down on what didn’t go quite as planned:

  1. First things 1st… the fabric was late.
  2. When it did arrive, there was a big red mark going right through the center of it.
  3. I didn’t order underlining fabric thinking that I already had some on hand. I did not.
  4. Did I mention that I DON’T SEW? And that I hadn’t quite figured out how I was going to get the cushions done without a professional upholsterer’s help?

More importantly, let’s talk about what went right!

EVERYTHING! Especially under the circumstances.

I ordered fabric samples from multiple suppliers & settled on 2 final contenders – both very neutral because that’s my cousin’s style.

1 from Greenhouse Fabrics (which I absolutely love) & 1 from Michael’s. Yup, you read right… Michael’s! They have a great selection of budget friendly upholstery fabrics including the Ellen Degeneres line.

Ultimately that’s what I went with. The fabric is amazing quality for the price point & the color is perfect. When I unrolled it from the bolt & found the red coloration throughout, I called customer service who immediately issued a replacement which I received in 2 days!

I’m all about excellent customer service.

Anyway, once I got going on the project, it was not nearly as scary as I thought! In fact it probably took longer to remove the fabric & staples from the previous upholstery job than my DIY no-sew method.

Here’s a reminder of what we started with…

My Insta-friends voted almost unanimously to paint the frame. I decided to keep it natural because 1. It’s more suited to my cousin client’s taste, 2. It maintains to the soul & integrity of the piece, and 3. It contrasts very nicely with the new upholstery.

And here is a sneak peek at my new DIY no-sew upholstery job…

Can you tell that I’m super excited about this?!

She’s done! All that’s left is to clean her up, add textiles & she’s ready for her big reveal!

I’m so glad I took on this project because it really gave me a chance to challenge myself in many ways – it’s been years since I’ve done any upholstery AND I created a video to show how I did it! That’s coming soon here on the blog & on my YouTube channel so stay tuned for that!

Now for the full reveal of The Teacher’s Lounge
including the DIY No-Sew Upholstery Project!

A Few Photos Of The Teacher’s Lounge – Library, Prayer Room, & Office

Thank you SO much for visiting& following along this journey! I am so appreciative. If you found it interesting or inspiring, please share!

Don’t forget to check out the transformations of the One Room Challenge featured designers & guest participants.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


    1. I’m not done yet Jenna! This loveseat is sitting in the middle of my dining room waiting for the very last moment to take it to my cousin’s new Prayer Room/Teahcer’s Lounge. She’s gonna be so surprised, I can’t wait! So stay tuned for that later this week!