About 6-7 years ago Mr. Green & I spent our anniversary weekend at the Four Seasons Houston. I planned dinner & cooking classes at Quattro where we learned to make a super easy shrimp ceviche that was absolutely delicious!
Naturally it would be, I’d expect nothing less. We didn’t get to eat ours for our appetizer because it takes a while to “cook”, but when we had it the next day… OH MY GOODNESS… LOVE!
Honestly I was a little scared to make ceviche at home, mainly because it’s not cooked in the traditional sense. And even though my family & I love sushi and tartare, raw is hard to get right. Especially for the home chef.
But I chose to face my fears, jump right in, & make a super easy shrimp ceviche.
Easy Shrimp Ceviche Recipe
- 5-7 shrimp
- ¼ of a bell pepper, diced small
- ¼ C onion (red or yellow), diced small
- 1 green onion, sliced
- ¼ C cilantro, chopped
- 1t chili flakes
- 1t honey
- salt & pepper to taste
Peel the shrimp & slice thinly. Put them in a medium sized bowl.
Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT the salt & pepper.
Stir to combine everything.
Cover with saran wrap & let sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Overnight is even better.
Taste the ceviche & adjust seasoning as needed with salt & pepper. Adjust the acidity with honey.
And it’s done! It’s really just that simple! AND it’s delicious.
Ways to eat & serve:
Honestly there are so many ways to eat ceviche! We like it straight out of the bowl as is, it’s so good!
But if you’re serving it for a party, family & friends, or just informally, here’s a few ideas:
- Serve as is with tortilla or pita chips, crostini, or crackers as an appetizer.
- Use as a topping on tuna steak (as I made it for this particular time around), steak steak (lol), or any other fish.
- Use as the “salsa” on:
- shrimp or fish tacos. Oh. My. God. YUM!
- Any bean dish
Tips & Tricks:
- The original Four Seasons version called for 5 shrimp & 2 scallops. We don’t always have scallops, but living on the gulf coast, we ALWAYS have shrimp in the house. You know my motto… use what you got!
- Don’t worry about slicing the shrimp perfectly, it could be thin slices or chunks. As long as it’s not huge – remember it’s gonna be “cooked” with acid only.
- Try to keep diced items a similar size
- DO NOT season with salt & pepper until AFTER the ceviche has “cooked”. The veg & chili flakes may be all you need.
- make it with fish or crab or any other seafood you love
- Add avocado, red, yellow, or orange bell peppers
- use fresh jalapeño or serrano pepper if you like it fresh & hot
- if using dried cilantro, cut it down to 2 T (about ½ the amount of fresh)
- honey or agave nectar work equally well
- use lemon juice, lime juice, or half & half. The flavor is altered slightly but is delicious either way
That’s about it for this recipe. Told you it was easy!
If you like this recipe please pin it & share it with your friends. I’d love to see how you make it your own & love it!